Thursday, November 30, 2006

Cheat Day

So I'm calling today my cheat day, but really all it's only tonight when we have dinner at my boss's house. I'm really looking forward to it because his wife is such a great cook, but I hope that I can keep some willpower and take it easy on all the things that are bad for me.

The numbers were down again today--165! Woohoo!

Today's a busy day, so I have to run--I'll have more time tomorrow.


Okay--Debbi mentioned that I should post some of the recipes that I am finding and trying out. Here's one that I made the other night, and am eating at work, at my desk, as we speak. I've posted it instead of sending the link because not everyone can log into Cooking Light, which is where I found it (I think you have to subscribe to the magazine).

I did make a few substitutions, though. I used Parmesan cheese instead of Asiago, and I sauteed some red peppers and tomatoes and Boca crumbles and added balsamic vinegar for flavor. It's wonderful and reheats well. Oh, and I went for whole wheat pasta as well.

Here it is:
Cavatappi with Spinach, Beans, and Asiago Cheese
The warm pasta slightly wilts the spinach and softens the cheese during tossing.
8 cups coarsely chopped spinach leaves
4 cups hot cooked cavatappi (about 6 ounces uncooked spiral-shaped pasta)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 (19-ounce) can cannellini beans or other white beans, drained
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Asiago cheese
Fresh ground black pepper (optional)
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, and toss well. Sprinkle with fresh ground black pepper, if desired.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 cups)CALORIES 401 (27% from fat); FAT 12g (sat 3.4g,mono 6.2g,poly 1.2g); PROTEIN 18.8g; CHOLESTEROL 10mg; CALCIUM 306mg; SODIUM 464mg; FIBER 6.7g; IRON 6.4mg; CARBOHYDRATE 54.7g Cooking Light, OCTOBER 1996

1 comment:

Debbi said...

Well, yum! And I actually came home from the grocery with fresh spinach. Will be trying that this weekend. Way to go on seeing that number keep going down, too.